Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Very Long Engagement

The story unfolds when the Jammu bound train Shalimar Express, the train had just come to a grinding halt and the clock had just ticked one in the morning. In the cold wintery night the mercury was unable to raise itself beyond four degree centigrade. Earlier during the night was watching “A Very Long Engagement” on my now obsolete computer still trotting at 256 MB when rest of the world was running at 2 GB, still my computer on which rarely anything played other than Movies or Powerpoint slides.

The Movie was fairly interesting with a Love Story going on with the backdrop of a War. Amidst the lovely movie suddenly the mobile rang indicating a much awaited call from a person for whom I had been waiting so desperately that staying awake the whole night also was a treat, and not wavering from the person she was, she said “ Come on Chittu, why are you not there at the station. I have been waiting for you since the time train has come and you are no where to be seen.” These lines took the floor under my feet. I said “Oh Sh..! Ihad just seen on net the train is reaching Panipat now and another two hours so am at my room watching a beautiful movie. Ok am just coming, please don’t go without meeting me.” And there was her cruel Laughter from the other end. “Lallu abhi meri train is on time and will be reaching in another two hours, just thought of letting you know,” she said. A faint smile escaped my lips and the next two hours were probably the longest and had it not been for the movie I doubted if it would ever pass.

In my own tune I left the room, the three layered protection just giving enough warmth to get out but still was not enough for the chill winds to freeze my bones when I drove my Activa across the roads. I was happy to reach before time just dreaming about how the few minutes at station would be like.

Just as the Engine crossed me did I get back to reality to know that the jacket which I had bought for her to give whatever little warmth it could, was in my scooter guarded by the closet lock. I did not know what to do, whether to run back to get the jacket or to wait to meet her and then run to get the jacket. Still struggling to make up my mind the train stopped and I inadvertently walked to find her. The meet had to be interrupted for me to run for the jacket. As I reached the second flight of stairs I realized I have been out of shape for long now. Reaching the jacket I felt as if I would never be able to make it back before the train left. I had now just landed back in front of the bogie did I realize I was being howled at for being such a freak to have forgotten the gift. Anyways, I thought of regaining my breath and that was the only time I had before the train started to roll.

How dead I was I thought and had wanted the engines of the damn engines to surge forever and the train to never move from there as I always dreaded this moment

“WHEN THE TIMES WERE GOING TO CHANGE FOREVER NOW ON.” This was the last I saw her as a friend only as my friend for she was going to her future where I always pray she should be HAPPY FOREVER.

1 comment:

pallavi said...

gud one..!!

just one little point from my side...there will come some moments when 'your friend' is just 'your friend' .. these moments may be rare, short and scattered over your life time but surely these moments are worth waiting for and worth living for...so enjoy life till then..live those moments to the fullest and cherish them...

so B+ (mera blood grp hai..!!!)